Friday, September 21, 2007

excerpts from old movies

I shrug. Lately, it doesn't feel like life has been kind to me, which pushes me into wistfully wishing that time could be turned. Either backwards or forwards, it does not matter. Although it is preferable that it went backwards because it means I get to correct my many wrongs. I won't bother dating, for one. Heh. Okay, I just won't bother dating jerks. I will learn to be more independent, I will learn to socialize. My social skills are the bleh and I will try my best not to grow up a fashion victim. Anyway, this bout of so-called depression caused me to long for what is now history.

They bring back fond memories of days past, scenes from old movies:

Curly Top (1935)
Plot summary: Wealthy Edward Morgan becomes charmed with a curly-haired orphan and her pretty older sister Mary and arranges to adopt both under the alias of "Mr. Jones." As he spends more time with them, he soon finds himself falling in love with Mary. [Source: IMDB.com]

Been looking for this movie for a long time now actually, cos I wanted to watch it again. So I ask people if they've watched this movie before and if they've downloaded it. No one has, btw. The last time I watched this was when we were still using VHS tapes. Nowadays, people rarely even still have the players to support them.

This is the orphanage scene where orphan Elizabeth Blair, played by Shirley Temple, entertains the rest of the orphans and sings Animal Crackers in my Soup in the eating hall while her sister, Mary Blair, played by Rochelle Hudson, accompanies her on the piano:



This scene is when Edward Morgan, played by John Boles, sings Curly Top to little Elizabeth Blair. I loved Shirley Temple. She had done so many movies that by the age of 10, she has already starred in over 40 movies and no wonder. She was so talented. She was 7 years old in this movie. Watch her tap dance - one of her talents that were a feature in many of her movies:



Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Plot summary: Lady, a golden cocker spaniel, meets up with a mongrel dog who calls himself the Tramp. He is obviously from the wrong side of town, but happenings at Lady's home make her decide to travel with him for a while. This turns out to be a bad move, as no dog is above the law. [Source: IMDB.com]

This is a behind the scenes look at how the song, He's a Tramp, was made for the film. Peggy Lee, a famous and talented American jazz singer, sang the song. Very interesting video. Nowadays, songs are recorded part by part and is then melded together in the end so that certain parts could be edited if not right. Back then, they recorded it all in one shot. Mark, you will love this clip:



The Sound of Music (1965)
Plot summary: Who doesn't know the Sound of Music? Of course starring the legendary Julie Andrews. I doubt you need this plot summary. If you still do, there's always IMDB. Could someone get me a DVD of the Sound of Music, or let me know where I can get one around here? I've been having a hard time locating one for myself. :(

I chose to show this scene because it's so full of naivety which is something I do miss about myself. Ah, how easily does the world change a person into a cynic. In this scene, Liesl, played by gorgeous Charmain Charr, sneaks out of the house to meet up with a messenger boy (sorry, I forgot his name). Btw, she's not really 16 going on 17 (as per song title) in the movie, she was 21:



The puppet scene where the Von Trapp children sing The Lonely Goatherd (which I also personally believe Gwen Stefani totally buthered) while entertaining their father, Captain Georg Von Trapp played by Christopher Plummer, and his lady friend:



This scene is at the Von Trapp party where the children sing So Long, Farewell to the guests their goodbyes which might also be my favorite song from the movie:



Little Voice (1998)
Plot summary: The pathetically shy LV (Jane Horrocks) lives the life of a recluse listening to her late fathers old records in her room and in the process driving her abusive, loud-mouthed mother, Mari Hoff (Brenda Blethyn), to distraction. At night, however, when her father's ghost visits, LV sings the songs of the great divas such as Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe and Shirley Bassey. One evening LV is overheard by one of her mother's loathsome boyfriends, the disastrous dead-end talent scout Ray Say (Michael Caine), who recognises her innate talent and realises this is his last big chance for the glittering prizes. Gambling everything Ray Say forces LV to appear at a local run-down, seedy night club run by Mr. Boo (Jim Broadbent). As preparations for the big event proceed apace LV meets the equally shy Billy (Ewan McGregor), a pigeon-racing telephone engineer and they form a tentative, gentle friendship. The big night finally arrives and everything is in readiness the band, the club and even a big agent from London, but what about LV? [Source: IMBD.com]

This is the scene where LV performs at the nightclub, totally winning the crowd over with her singing talent. Yes, Jane Horrocks sang all her own songs:



This is the scene where LV refuses to perform any longer on account of being shy, she only promised to perform once:



Totally unrelated
Jane Horrocks, the actress and vocal impersonator, who played LV, being horrendously (in a good way) funny:





------------------------------



Music, song and dance are some of the things that all these movies featured, as I'm sure you've noticed. I love music and I know that you know that I know that music is one of life's greatest pleasures. Oh well, I'm sure you all think I'm like, so old now. Especially since I manage to quote movies from so many years ago and especially since they were released when I wasn't even born yet. Hahahaha! I miss movies like these.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! THANK YOU for posting these. I never thought of searching youtube for old movies.

It has been over a decade since I've seen one of these.

DDeden said...

Sound of music! classic!

I wanna be a goatherd too!

:D

Kim said...

salian: haha. sweet. ure welcome, sherryl. i was rather doubtful that anyone would appreciate the clips i posted. glad you liked it!

dude: a goatherd? hahaha. ok. your life, your choice. :P hahahaha! hahaa. what the. hahahahaa.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, when I was a small kid, I used to go over to my friend's house all the time. Her mom had a whole collection of classic movies on video tape.

They don't make movies like that anymore... it's all about plot and cinematography now... which isn't bad, just different.

DDeden said...

OKOK just kidding. I'd rather dive anyday. But still, wouldn't it be fun to yodel at the top of Mount Kinabalu? Yodel leyee hu!
:o
So is Kim waltzing at the gazebo with her messenger boy? 21 = 16-17, time's right for romance you know! Camera, Action!
woot!
ahaks!
;)

Kim said...

salian: that's so cool that at least you know that you have a friend who has seen movies like these. i have no clue as to whether any of my friends have. and i doubt that they have too. hahaha.

dude: oh yes, definitely! ah, have you been to the top of the mountain? i would LOVE to do that someday. maybe i'll take the easy way up the first time and attempt the harder way another time. hahaha.
and.. hahahaha. me waltzing at a gazebo in the middle of the night with heavy rain falling on the roof? wow. very romantic. hahaha. too romantic maybe. my bf isn't exactly the most romantic person on earth. ahhaha.

DDeden said...

Once I worked as a forest firefighter in Nor Calif. the helicopter dropped us right on a narrow ridge at the peak of the mountain, it was really terrifying, since lots of smoke coming up the mountainsides. I decided that was enough mountain adventure for me! So I await your piccies from the top of the gunung...of you and your bf... must be a gazebo somewhere up there in the mist! ;)