Thursday, September 27, 2007

so called jet setter

Mark asked me like, 2 days ago whether I want to go to Penang over the Raya holidays. MMMM! I've never been to Penang before. I thought cool, I would love to go explore and see what's so great about the food there. LOL! No one ever talks about anything else but the food when Penang is mentioned.

However, now they're changing their plans and going over to KK instead cos all the hotels in Penang and Langkawi are booked full. Aww. But regardless, I would love to go as well! Maybe this time, explore the islands properly and go parasailing!! Was supposed to go last time I was there but some *ahem* people *ahem*. You get my drift. Plus, tickets over aren't so expensive. RM180 with return. Via MAS. Hehehehe. I checked AirAsia and it's more expensive to fly via AirAsia at this point, okay.

Fingers crossed that my parents would let me go. Then can stay at hotel too! They're planning to stay at Sutera Habour! It's been ages since I've stayed at a hotel. I don't want to count in the hotel that I stayed at in Singapore cos it kinda sucked. I would've called it an inn, not a hotel.

Hum dee dum. Oh, and I would like to play tour guide and bring them around KK. Hahaha! It feels like I can do that now after my last trip to KK. *blush* Now I'm just reminded how I only blogged about one day in KK. Aww. Shucks. Maybe I'll attempt a little compressed post about my trip. Later. Hmm.. reminds me about the Singapore trip too. And I haven't even gotten to the best parts of either one of those trips too.



xxxxxx



I'm also praying to God that my ears will be able to survive the flights.. Sigh. I don't want to go deaf. Hmm.. yeah, I didn't mention that while I was in Singapore I caught a pretty bad case of the flu. My ears got blocked from me blowing my nose. That's never happened when I've caught the flu before. Anyway, the morning I was supposed to fly back to Miri, my aunt was saying something to me which I couldn't catch. So I said, "What? Can you say that again? I can't hear properly cos my ears are blocked."

To which she replied, "Oh. Then your ears are going to hurt a lot of the plane later. You better be careful and take care not to turn deaf!" That was scary to hear okay. I was worried but once I got to the airport, I forgot about it cos all I thought about was me getting home again. Yes, it hurt badly, especially on the descent. And we had to descend twice because we transited in Kuching. Singapore - Kuching - Miri. Kuching - Miri was the worst though. I felt like blowing my brains out with a shotgun by that time.

I can practically feel the veins in my head expanding and threatening to explode. Imagine that! I swore I believed very much at that moment that I was going to die. It hurt THAT much. I was close to tears on the plane and I couldn't even keep still from all the pain. I was rocking myself back and forth trying to relieve the pain but it didn't go away. I looked like a right nut then. But I survived otherwise I can't be here today. I think that's the way to survive life threatening situations. Embarrass yourself.

Anyways, was in a bad mood after that. And had an awful headache that lasted days. Searing pain that attacked the left back side of my head. Then I also started having toothaches. Went to see a doctor. He said I was lucky. I will explain it to you the same way he explained it to me.


This is what a normal ear looks like.

ear_drum
This is what's wrong with my ears.

It's kinda gross to think of it that way, isn't it? But yes, apparently that tube is all stuffed up with mucus that it's practically pressing up against my ear drums causing it to curve outwards instead of it naturally curving inwards. According to my doctor, I'm very lucky that my ear drums did not burst during the flight from all the pressure. When he mentioned that I could've lost my hearing and especially when he said the word, deaf, it took a lot in me not to cry although the tears very much threatened to roll out of my eyes and onto my cheeks.

The idea that I could've been deaf. Maybe not completely, but enough to take away my joy in music. Audiophile.. Heh.

Went to see a dentist (just in case. I already suspected it had something to do with my flu) about my toothache. He asked if I had the flu recently to which I answered yes. He explained that it's cos of sinus and that it could induce pain in your jaws making it seem like a toothache. No, I didn't have to pay to see my dentist. Free consultation what. I think Malaysia's trying to encourage it's citizens to go see a dentist. See this poster that I saw outside where I was stuck waiting for my dentist and his assistants to come back from lunch hour. Hehe.

Dental poster. Click to enlarge.

I sound fine about it now cos that was a few weeks ago and I had time to calm down. But I was advised by my doctor to make an appointment with an ENT doctor. Which I have this coming Sunday. I seriously doubt that he would say that it's okay for me to fly anytime soon. Cos my other doctor said that for me to recover and get better would take a few months. Up to 6 months even. And I don't want to risk losing my hearing, do I? Sigh.

7 comments:

DDeden said...

hmm, ear drum isn't curved in though, it's straight across, like a drum skin under tension. If it gets perforated, just let it drain, the doc puts in a little tiny tube for drainage, it will heal again quickly. Just have to keep it clean, and no diving til it heals.

Just one ear? or both? Still some pain or weird sound or normal now?

Kim said...

okay. i just assumed cos the diagram that he showed me looked like it was curved inwards. :P don't know if it's perforated yet. i really hope not.

and it's for both ears. unfortunately. no more pain but on some days it still gets annoying because i can feel that it's blocked up and it's during those days that sounds are kind of muffled as well. not so much, but enough to annoy me to hell.

have you gone through this before?

DDeden said...

Yeah sure, sickness and diving both, easy to get ear problems, as well as flying.
Never had a real serious injury though, just discomfort, weird sloshy hearing, pain blah...
heres a good link to see, like yours but more in-depth info.
http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html#ENT_Anatomy

Mainly, I meant, a small perforation of the drum and then drainage is better than prolonged infection inside the middle ear which is blocked in, which might pressurize (convex bulging eardrum) or under-pressurize (concave).

However, usually the doc gives anti-biotic, and the infection disappears, the swelling reduces, the eustacian tubes go normal.
Anyway see an ENT if any more problem.
sihat sihat lah! CAN U HEAR ME NOW? ;)

Kim said...

oi. i'm not blind. ah, i forgot that i also suffered from vertigo until i read the site you passed me. do you do a lot of diving?

hehehe.. i'm just really hoping now that i will be able to fly again in 2 weeks.

will be going to see the ENT doc this sunday anyway. hurm! cos yes, my ears are still sort of blocked although it's not as bad as it was a few weeks ago.

DDeden said...

:) haha, you need bigger speakers? or bigger specs?

Yeah a bit of vertigo is associated with ear pressure change from infection because pressure on the inner ear oval window affects the balance canals.

I'm not diving now, I don't like to dive in cold water with scuba and wetsuit. Here the water is damn cold in Nor Calif.

I just like diving in tropics, doing free-diving (breath hold). I miss diving in Malaysia. Maybe someday if money falls into my pocket... nowadays, I'm no jet setter that's for sure. Whine!

Kim said...

i've never done any diving before. how sad is that. the closest i get is just using snorkels and swimming around like that.

(i'm not blind and i'm not deaf) -_-"

have u ever tried diving where you are now?

haha. in ur comparison, you paint a better picture for diving in malaysia. :P

DDeden said...

I just swam here in July, sunny beach but water was too cold. Honolulu was nice, but still preferred T'ganu isles. oh well.