Tuesday, November 28, 2006

how a molehill becomes a mountain

Internet is being a bitch again so my post on my new sexy friend will have to wait.

It's funny how when I first enrolled into Curtin, people were saying that once I went into first year of engineering and out of foundation engineering that things will get easier. I do wonder if it is because going through foundation engineering actually prepared us for worse things to come and when we eventually get there, things aren't as bad as we have prepped ourselves up to be.

Or is it because once we get there, things really are better. Because it does seem to me that in degree, we are given more chances to pass with all the quizzes that we have to take every single week, the many assignments, which in turn help boost our internal marks making it easier to pass our final exams?

Or is it really because that once we get to our first year, we are actually taking two steps back again?

I'm just mulling over this because my mom asked the other day, when Wani was around, whether we thought first year degree was harder or easier than our foundation year. We both agreed that degree was easier. Hmm. Cross our fingers and let's hope that we're not being too overconfident, eh?

Anyways, examination results come out on the 14th of December. Pray for me, people? I've already failed one too many times. Goodluck to everyone else too.

Hahaha.. I just remembered that the school is threatening to withhold my examination results until I pay them RM100. I wonder if I should just pay them the money or maybe stir up some dust storms regarding the whole issue involved.

What's the whole deal actually? I paid my school fees late. Why? Because the deadline of payment was on the same day that my foundation examination results came out. Our results only go up online at 5pm on that day. Also the same time which the office closes.

I did not want to pay my school fees early only to find out that I failed and then I would have to fill out more forms, and then wait weeks/months just for them to "process" everything so that they can give me back my money.

But instead, they choose to fine me for late payment. Which doesn't make sense, does it? What is so wrong with wanting to wait for confirmation that I am in the degree program before having to fork over MY MONEY.

It's just like paying my kidnappers the money for my family members, which I can't confirm whether they were still alive or not. Which even the kidnappers aren't able to tell me if they were still breathing oxygen!

That's what those people with their stupid "policies" are. Kidnappers! Or maybe just baddies. Actually, just the henchmen working for an elusive and greedy boss.

The conclusion is that it was a very stupid policy to have. The logic in it is non-existant!

And that's why my family and I have refused to pay them the money. Not because we don't have it. It's RM100, of course we have it. But it's a matter of standards. And of stupidity on their part.

Ever want to meet a bunch of idiots who somehow were trusted to run a university? Just call me up, and I'll show you. Don't worry too much though. They are all placed within strong glass enclosures. And so far, no serious injuries nor deaths from coming in contact with these beings have been reported.

6 comments:

pinknerd said...

Totally agreed. I would've done the same if I were you.

Still though, it amazes me that you took up engineering. My dad's an engineer-lecturer (whatever you call it, and I know I've told you), Girls HARDLY take up this thingy, know? I mean,with the way he marked their papers, all seemed to fail miserably :P Hehe.

Something I thought only people without-vagina could handle better, haha.

Kim said...

Oh ye of little faith,

There are actually quite a lot of girls who are doing engineering and they are those who are doing very well. And I'm amazed at their determination. It's really something, you know.

I'm also quite suprised that I'm in engineering. Hehe. But I'm up for the challenge. I thought your dad was a lecturer for something else. Hmmmm... but who am I to argue with you what your father actually does. :P ahhaa.

But yeah, girls who do engineering would mostly enter civil/chemical. I'm in mechanical so I will be 1 of 2 girls of my sem who would be entering this male dominated realm.

Isyk. I'm really in for it, aren't I?

PS. it's great that you'll be doing what you want to do. and that you know what you want to be doing.

pinknerd said...

hehe, and what do you know? No wonder I never knew many girls took engineering. My dad has 5 masters, and one of it being the kind of engineering you're taking.

I don't remember seeing alot of Jane's and Binti's there. Salute you lah, marie ;)

Kim said...

damn girl. your dad has 5 masters??

Thinking about it... the ratio of girls to guys taking engineering is probably only 1:4. so yeah, not that many, and they definitely won't be Jane's nor Binti's cause they ain't normal. Ahahahaha.

Like you said, most girls would not be doing engineering.

Salute ur dad lah. :P

Jill said...

RM100 to take the damn exam? Shouldn't the exam be part of what you PAID for in the first place

SO damn expensive to print out a few pages of paper ah. I'm hating lazy lecturers and money pinching colleges more and more every day now. GRAHHHH!

Kim said...

eh. no... the RM100 was a fine that they stuck to me for paying my tuition fees late. and so far, i haven't paid my fine.

so they threatened to withhold my examination results if i didn't pay up. :P

everyone's a grubby money pincher these days it seems.. just like those venders who sell reload coupons for an extra RM1! bloody stupid bastards.